Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Comcast internet speeds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Comcast internet speeds

    I was curious if any of you use a website such as Speedtest to see what kind of download/upload speeds you get.

    I have Comcast internet and I tried it earlier and didn't get above 1 MB/s. Comcast claims that it reaches speeds of 10 MB/s, but I'm assuming that in this area that is not possible. I understand that I am probably sharing a connection point with my neighbors and that probably lowers the speed some.

    If you have Comcast internet or any type of internet for that matter please go to that website and test your speed so we can compare what type of speeds we are getting. It only takes a few seconds.

    680600546

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    i check mine all the time, i just now hit 6.45mb/s download upload of 2.3 and a ping of 101ms i never have problems with comcast in appalachia
    Cant we all just get along?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2005
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    This is the results I got from it with comcast.

    9.32mbs download
    2.11mbs upload
    97ms ping


    http://www.speedtest.net/result/680613331.png

  4. #4
    Inactive Member red66's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    433
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    Wow. Could there be something wrong with my computer then? I am on a laptop with my wireless connection. I am using a Belkin wireless router. I just don't see how it can be that much difference.

    The reason I am curious about all of this is because I am thinking about switching to Clariti Media (formerly Sunset Digital) fiber optic internet. I will definitely switch if I'm paying for cable internet with less than DSL speeds. The basic package is only $10 more a month than I am paying for Comcast right now. The basic package is 10 MB/s, but they have other packages that can go up to 25 MB/s and even 100 MB/s. I am not sure if it is available in Wise County or not though.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    Different servers will yield different results. Not to mention the current amount of traffic on the net plays a role in lowering that speed. You might also try the pingtest. Also, their website advertises "Get download speeds up to 12 Mbps (megabits)," not MBps (megabytes).

    680620157

    680620894

    680621870

    680622900

    7710149
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    But if you have the chance to go fiber and it doesn't mean taking out a 2nd mortgage I'd say go for it. Fiber should blow cable out of the water.
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    WOW!! Check this one out.

    680883731
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member timmy_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2005
    Posts
    1,586
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Comcast internet speeds

    My time warner internet got 14.52 Mb/s download and 0.98 Mb/s upload with a ping of 9ms
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." -Pre

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •